1. Expository essay
2. Student A talks about how men and women have equal opportunities. Facts are used as evidence to support their points of view. Student A (pov): both sexes have an equal right to receive an education. Evidence: both sexes have the right to enjoy benefits like scholarships, bursaries, and they have an edusave account for educational purposes. (para 2)
Student J talks about areas in which men and women do not have equal opportunities. Student J (pov): men get better opportunities than women in the society. Evidence: most of the high ranking positions in the military are held by men. Men are given more seats in the parliament. (para 2)
3. Both of them only used the word ‘I’ when expressing their stand.
4. State their stand -> reasons and examples to support their stand -> conculsion (Student A: sums up her stand; Student J: does not sum up stand, merely concludes)
5. Student A: no hedges used. Occasional passive voice used: equality between men and women are strongly being stressed upon (para 1), the sexist way of thinking that women have to become housewives and serve their husbands after marriage has long been abolished (para 3) Uses complexity in her sentences such as conjunctions.
Student J: Only found one use of hedges: could mean (para 2), could affect (para 3). Occasional passive voice used: Most of the high rank ing positions in the military are held by men. Men are given more seats in the parliament (para 2)
6. Student A: K-transforming. She has a rhetorical goal of showing that men and women in Singapore have equal opportunities. Her topic sentences are reasons to support her rhetorical goal. The organisation structure is suited to the rhetorical situation abd makes it easier for readers to see the reasons provided.
Student J: The student established a goal, but in terms of organizing, the structure is less clear. A lot of facts are provided, but there seems to be a lot of examples but she did not use the examples to explain her stand, and this does not help the readers to see the link to her goal.